Skip to main content

Teleserye Producers And Cast Members Have No One But THEMSELVES To Blame As To Why K-Dramas Are Defeating Them Overall


Senator Unggoy Estrada is one of the reasons why I badly support the parliamentary system. A parliamentary system will reduce monkeying meaning people like Unggoy are bound to either shape up or ship out. Just don't mind what that Jason VOORHEES guy is writing with his terrible misinformation (which I think he believes in because it's his COMFORT ZONE) at Get Real Philippines. Unggoy would've probably been ousted from the legislative would've he said what he said in the Philippine Parliament. It would be receiving boos and hiss. Maybe, you might have both Prime Minister Bobong Marcos and Opposition Leader Leni Loud Robredo MUTUALLY AGREE to throw Unggoy out.

Here are some of Unggoy's words of wisdumb which he said according to Rappler:

In my observation, if we continue showing these Koreanovelas, our citizens will support these Korean celebrities instead, while our Filipino artists lose jobs and income.

Later, he ended up making this statement too which showed the presidential system's politics encourages MONKEYING:

So sometimes, I do consider proposing a ban on these foreign works, so that it would be our talented Filipino artists who will be appreciated in our own country instead.

WTF! This really sparked a conversation between me and some people. I was even reminded of an article I wrote if leftist lawmakers will write a law forcing us to support our lousy local media. It was in relation to the ABIaS-CBN franchise. Yeah, that incident showed how their celebrities were a far cry from South Korean celebrities. Unggoy has been acting like a leftist lawmaker in what he did. It almost feels like as if he's now in cahoots with the likes of Rep. Sarah Jane ElGAGO (who resembles Korean actress Shin Hye Sun except she's darker) of Kayabagan Partylist. 

Unggoy failed to see the point (or not). Having been a former movie star (and I hope Robin Padilla removes his idea of tariffs for imported shows) - I guess Unggoy is feeling the FAILURE of teleseryes. True, some teleseryes on Netflix are on the Top 10. However, they're not dominant. I even feel Internet troll farms are responsible for the high ratings of 2 Good 2 Be True starring Dennis Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo. I could be wrong but that seems to be it. 

Why the blame goes to teleserye producers and cast members, not K-Dramas

There are people who blame the rich for their being poor. It's pretty much people like Elgago or the staff at IBON Foundation. The situation of teleserye producers and cast members have no one but THEMSELVES to blame for the preference of Filipinos for K-Drama over teleseryes. Hmmm... so much for ABiaS-CBN bragging about Ang Probinsyano and Darna (which they brag is trending worldwide) huh? Apparently, it's watched only by homesick OFWs instead of foreigners. The shows will not be quite feasible to be in the world market. Besides, the farthest reach so far was in Sub-Saharan Africa instead of the more successful places in Africa.

The pandemic caused me to get more into Koreanovela - something that I NEVER expected since I preferred Taiwanese and Japanese entertainment more. Sure, I'd pick a kimbap over sushi but I'd still pick ramen over Korean soups. I could remember watching some shows on KissAsian such as Kill It and Justice. Ang Probinsyano was airing last 2015 and it should've ended ASAP. Instead, it went for the path of SEVEN LONG YEARS for a reason. It practically beat out Mula Sa Puso and Mara Clara from the 1990s. I did watch Kill It and got intrigued by the legal drama involved. I got into Justice and I was enjoying the mysteries in the show. There were more Korean legal dramas that had very interesting content.

Back then, I remembered I wrote why Taiwanovelas are better than Koreanovelas. The same goes for Koreanovelas being better than teleseryes. I could go ahead and name stuff like better plot pacing, better heroines, interesting plots, better acting (well, I still hate Boys Over Flowers with a passion thanks to Jan Di), better theatrical props, and constant innovation. ABiaS-CBN and GMA-7 were airing Taiwanovelas then they were airing Japanovelas and Koreaovelas. These made everything more appealing to audiences. Meanwhile, the TV stations airing these shows still REFUSED TO CHANGE THE FORMULA for more than ten years! If only both networks will ditch the long format and follow the better plot pacing. My Golden Life was a rather long Koreanovela but it wasn't ridiculously long. 

Instead, teleseryes tend to focus on the SAME REDUNDANT PLOT. Many of them still focus on the kabitserye (all about adultery). I remembered how Angel Locsin Colmenares-Arce was acting as a frustrated wife to Jericho Rosales. There was also Ika-6 Na Utos which was on GMA-7. True, My Rosy Life did have a kabitserye plot but the pacing was rather good. K-Dramas tend to offer more variety when they're shown. You have love stories. You have legal drama. You have historical series. You get a lot of variety. Some Koreanovelas may be very long but the pacing is still more tolerable than what teleseryes offer. 

Having a weekly schedule vs. a daily schedule pretty much matters. One of the biggest issues I had with teleseryes is the daily schedule if it's an ongoing project. There's no room to edit or to make sure you get to the point. The writers are pressured to write almost daily and finalize daily. It becomes a ridiculous stunt of sorts. The end result is that without quality checks - quality goes down. When popularity strikes - they start to produce more episodes without checking the quality. That's what I felt about Ang Probinsyano - everything was so rushed and the daily schedule wasn't helping. A lot of Korean crime dramas are better than it. Coconuts Martin doesn't even hold a candle to any Korean crime drama star. Heck, I even laughed when people started berating Ang Probinsyano when they saw Vincenzo. There was even a bad joke that ABiaS-CBN might make a Pinoy version with COCONUTS. GMA-7 might want to pull off that stunt. That's why K-Dramas have better quality. If only the TV networks ditched the old formula PERMANENTLY for this one. 

Sure, teleseryes tend to have a lot of attractive women. I don't want to admit it but I find Shaina Garcia Magdayao more attractive than Jin A Nana (who looks like Shaina but has a flat body). However, the big difference lies with the implementation. I even felt Shaina was a very bad addition to Ang Probinsyano. It even made me write why Do Hyun Jin from Kill It, not Roxanne Opena, would be the better leader of Taskforce Agila. The fall of the Agilas was a result of bad coordination, overconfidence, a lack of personnel, and you know, it's just stupid. I may find Shaina pretty but I didn't even bother to watch The Worse Half or even any of her teleseryes. Meanwhile, I could watch any Koreanovelas without an attractive female. Shin Hye Sun isn't pretty but her performance (and she's obviously that smart) made me a fan of hers. Fortunately, ABiaS-CBN didn't go as far as to splice Nana's footage into Ang Probisinsyano or it'd cause legal action by her agency and the respective networks who own the footage.

The solution isn't to ban. Instead, it's to accept Koreanovelas as friendly rivals. It's pretty much like why services in the Philippines are so bad. It's a result of a lack of competition. TV networks need to check out how things work. I decided to check the mini-series The Haunted making me wonder why hasn't ABiaS-CBN changed the formula. We've had the 12 episodes only He's Into Her. They should just ditch the daily teleserye formula in exchange for weekly. Make other shows or show imported shows. They should really stop the blame game and learn from competition instead of banning it. 

Comments