Skip to main content

How The K-Drama "Lawless Lawyer" Is A Greater Eye Opener Than "Ang Probinsyano"


I remembered the time when I actually compared Vincenzo and Kill It to Ang Probinsyano. Now, I also recollect the case of Antonio F. Trillanes IV being a fan of Ang Probinsyano. I just want to laugh even harder when I said that Korean crime drama will always be better than the misadventures of Cardo Dalisay. I decided to watch Lawless Lawyer on Netflix (watch it before it might be gone) since I wanted another legal Korean drama to watch. While watching it - I really think about how Lawless Lawyer might be an even greater eye-opener than Ang Probinsyano

The show has a lawless city called Kisung - a fictional town created solely for the show. The main character Bong Sang Pil (Lee Joon Ki) shows off some genuine fight moves that will put Coconuts Martin to shame. He's a lawyer who realizes that the lawless city of Kisung suffers from so many loopholes. Ha Ja Yi (Seo Ye Ji) is one hot-headed lawyer who punched a biased judge (who I wish would get named Martin after the late Martin Ocampo) and ends up admiring Judge Cha Moon Sook. Little does Ja Yi know that the judge she so admires is actually an EVIL JUDGE.

The villains may actually make you recall certain cases


Both Judge Cha and Mayor Ahn Oh Joo (Choi Min So) are villains with good publicity. This throws me back to the 90s and some stuff I realized I felt I knew was not the truth. Judge Cha (whose actress Lee Hye Young looks like the Vizconde Massacre presiding judge Amelita G. Tolentino) seems to be an incorruptible judge. Yet, it's very hard to talk about her character without spoiler territory. Outwardly, Judge Cha has been sentencing people. Inwardly, Judge Cha is a very biased judge who only cares more about her publicity and reputation than her character. That just reminds me of the Vizconde Massacre trial.

The very personality of Judge Cha reminded me of the trial by publicity of the Vizconde Massacre. Judge Tolentino was eyeing a position at the Court of Appeals. Judge Cha wanted to be the next chief justice of South Korea. To do so, both of them use their selfish means to look good and get their promotion. Hubert Webb was unjustly sentenced to jail. Hubert even requested DNA testing of the semen found on the late Carmela Vizconde. However, Judge Tolentino was more focused on getting things "done and over with" - pretty much like Judge Cha. 15 years of Hubert's life was wasted in jail. Sadly, the same incident happened when the wrong people were tagged in the Chiong Sisters incident. Paco Larranaga, along with six others (Josman Aznar, James Anthony Uy, James Andrew Uy, Ariel Balansag, Alberto Cano, and Rowen Adlawan) were WRONGLY tagged in the brutal crime against the two sisters The late Judge Martin Ocampo wanted to look like a good judge and also ONLY wanted to get things done and over with.

Judge Cha tends to be what you'd call get it straight and done with. I would dare say that Judge Cha is better written than Lily in Ang Probinsyano. It's because Ang Probinsyano is always beating around the bush. I would wonder how Coconuts' version of Cardo will survive if he ever faced off against Judge Cha or Mayor Ahn or even their goons. I bet Cardo will be too easily done if that fight happened.

_________

Right now, I actually recommend Filipino audiences to try watching this show. If they want Tagalog then they have VIU. A better way to watch it is through Netflix provided that the network will renew its rental of the said show. It would be a series that make you think twice about whether or not the Philippines has the best constitution in the world. 

Comments