Skip to main content

Richard "Lucifer" Hoydurian Dares Say ABiaS-CBN Entertainment Is At Par With K-Dramas

Is it me or does "Lucifer" strike with yet another idiotic argument again? I'm calling Richard Foronda Heydarian (or Hoydurian) "Lucifer" because he strikingly resembles Tom Ellis of the Netflix series Lucifer. Okay, enough of the jokes, and I'm going to really write this post in response. It's amazing how "Lucifer" himself had a video called "Parliamentary Chaos". Now, this one really makes me laugh when he said that, ABiaS-CBN has had good quality films and entertainment that match Koreanovelas and other foreign telenovelas. Wait... WUT? That's why I'm laughing right now. Did "Lucifer" himself watch the K-Drama called Glitch on Netflix (maybe, in some dark lair of his) thinking that Jeon Yeo Bin and Jin A Nana are Angel Locsin Colmenares-Arce and Shaina Garcia Magdayao? Please, both Korean actresses lack the sexy body (and I'll probably LMAO if I saw both girls in bikinis) that their Filipino doppelgangers have!

If Unggoy Estrada's proposal to ban K-Drama was one thing (and a parliamentary system will guarantee his removal) - I'm laughing at what "Lucifer" himself has to say as well. Comparing the quality of ABiaS-CBN films and teleseryes to Korean entertainment (and other foreign shows) is stupid. Comparing the teleseryes' quality to South American dramas? Maybe. I remembered how I felt rewatching La Viuda De Blanco (which used to air on ABC-5 before it became TV-5) might be a dumb task. I've seen how many Latin telenovelas are exaggeratingly LONG. There was also Marimar, Rosalinda, and Betty La Fea. Those are comparable to our teleseryes due to how long-winded they are. This is pretty much a delusion that "Lucifer" himself dares to say ABiaS-CBN's K-Dramas are at par with Korean entertainment. That's F***ING BS! Sorry for the language but I can't resist cursing this demon of a columnist. 

I guess "Lucifer" himself failed to see these points as to why K-Dramas are BETTER than the teleseryes produced by his favorite network, ABiaS-CBN...

The plot pacing of K-Dramas delivers STRAIGHT TO THE POINT unlike teleseryes

I remembered watching a couple of Koreanovelas before. I remembered My Girl only had 16 episodes. Guess how many episodes ABiaS-CBN put? Freaking MORE THAN HALF as the Tagalog version had freaking 75 episodes! The same treatment was given to a lot of Koreanovelas when the teleseryes were made. Then we had the "hit show" Ang Probinsyano which seriously had 1,600+ episodes. I decided to watch the last two episodes which made me criticize the series even more. I also wrote why Korean crime dramas have defeated Ang Probinsyano by miles.

Right now, I was checking out Netflix and found myself amused. I'm wondering if ABiaS-CBN has been hiring trolls to watch their teleseryes on Netflix. Right now, 2 Good 2 Be True has been in the top spot. We also have Wildflower and I Left My Heart in Sorsogon among the Top 10. I still suspect trolls are widely involved but I can't prove it either. Though, what I can't deny is that 2 Good 2 Be True is still ONGOING all the while other shows I watched such as Cafe Minamdang and Glitch have reached their end. Cafe Minamdang wrapped everything up in 18 episodes. Meanwhile, 2 Good 2 Be True is scheduled to end after 130 episodes. Still, I find such pacing to be rather RIDICULOUS.

It's funny to see how people on social media berated Ang Probinsyano because of Vincenzo. I wonder if anybody has berated Angel because of Yeo Bin? I haven't seen anyone yet berate Shaina because of Nana. I still find it funny that Cardo Dalisay lived through all that injuries. I still find it stupid that the Agilas died in a FAILED HOSTAGE MISSION rather than having DIED TO SAVE THE HOSTAGES. The Agilas were poorly equipped and didn't have contingency planning. I felt Do Hyun Jin from Kill It would've made a better captain than Roxanne Opena.

With bad pacing - I really felt that getting stuck with the LONG RUN of Ang Probinsyano isn't worth it. I watched Kill It and then followed by Justice. I watched a couple more crime drama like Beyond Evil and Flower of Evil (which has a remake). It was fun watching one Korean crime drama after the other. Ang Probinsyano just fails due to its plot pacing. Do I really want to rewatch all those episodes from START TO END?

We get better, more interesting storylines due to better pacing 

I did mention how Ang Probinsyano is beaten flat by Korean crime dramas. I watched Vincenzo and it's really one fun trip with all the mysteries. I watched Kill It and it's really one interesting crime drama. I did watch Justice because of the eye candy (Nana). Both crime dramas were interesting to watch with the dark storyline. It's the type of dark storyline  that I enjoyed from the Taiwanese series Black and White. There were others like Pride and Prejudice as well as Lawless Lawyer which were all enjoyable legal drama.

It's very easy to say that your typical telenovela is a love story between a boy and a girl. True, but the way the boy meets girl storyline is either not overused or there are many ways to spin it around. For example, Pride and Prejudice is a legal drama with some romance. Both Baek Jin Hee and Choi Jin Hyu play a legal love team. It was fun to see how they added legal matters with romance. The love story is also built on mysteries of the past. The plots are well thought out because of the proper pacing. I enjoyed how the show shifted between the legal drama and the love story. The legal drama though overshadowed the love story. That's one interesting way to spin things around. 

This is also because K-Dramas have a WEEKLY SCHEDULE. It means that more stuff can be easily 

Stronger heroines tend to be the norm in K-Drama

One could argue that Angel was a strong woman in The General's Daughter. However, the norm of teleserryes tends to make the leading lady as Cinderellas. It's pretty much the poor girl plot. Maybe, I can't say the same for Jan Di in Boys Over Flowers which I hate with a passion. Now, I could think about the norm of teleseryes tend to glorify the VICTIM MENTALITY. Yup, the annoying adultery serials are one example. You also have the evil rich guy vs. the poor victim. Instead, Koreanovelas really create strong heroines BECAUSE of the tendency to lack the victim mentality.

There were a lot of interesting shows with strong heroines. The sentimental love stories give us strong heroines too. I think about how women know how to stand up for themselves. The action dramas don't make the women damsels in distress but damsels out of distress. 

Form over substance with better acting quality over beauty

I did write about how teleserye eye candy is just eye candy. Sure, ABiaS-CBN has some good-looking actresses. I did mention how Angel and Shaina are sexier than Yeo Bin and Nana. However, I really love to comment on how good looks are NEVER a replacement for acting quality. Eye candy is just a bonus on most K-Drama. In K-Drama, it's all about FOCUS ON acting quality.

I don't find Shin Hye Sun pretty at all. However, I find her crush-worthy because of her amazing performance. I view her as that ugly girl you'd like for intelligence. I was able to finish through Still 17 and My Golden Life because she has a very beautiful performance. Sure, she's not pretty but her performance (and the good story) kept me hooked. I couldn't get over her iconic comedic crying scene (above). She may look like Sarah Elgago but she's a lovable person nonetheless.

Meanwhile, I can't say the same thing about teleseryes. I may find Shaina attractive but I never bothered to watch The Worse Half. Sure, I did try to give the mini-series The Haunted a shot. However, I find a lot of the teleseryes of ABiaS-CBN took focused on eye candy. The afternoon teleserye Alyna was somehow too focused on Shaina's beauty than anything else. It's pretty much like why I'd watch shows with Hye Sun as the actress than Shaina herself.

Better cinematography that really adds to the flavor

The camerawork to the choreography in K-Drama is way better than teleseryes. Sure, Angel did some action scenes but it's not that well choreographed. Meanwhile, any action scenes that Yeo Bin did in Night in Paradise and Vincenzo are pretty much mind-boggling. I felt I don't regret skipping The General's Daughter since Yeo Bin has had better acting and choreography. Yup, better choreography than what Angel was given.

The appeal is with how well camera angles and choreography are given. Sure, teleseryes have had eye candy. However, choreography and filming techniques matter sure. You can have unattractive but talented cast members get praise. It's because they did some well-done cinematography. 

______

What are your thoughts on this devil of a columnist's statement? 

Comments