Skip to main content

My Early Thoughts On "Flower Of Evil" LICENSED Philippine Localization

Personally, I have nothing against localizations IF they do a good job. However, I remembered writing about how teleserye versions of imported shows are so bootleg. I've watched South Korean, Taiwanese, and Chinese remakes of Japanese shows. Some of them are live adaptations of Anime or Manga. Either way, they knew how to deal with how to adapt and make a good adaptation or localization. Though, I prefer the term localization because it's been taken from ONE COUNTRY TO ANOTHER. A recent localization of a hit South Korean drama Flower of Evil had me wondering if it's time for a bashfest. Yes, you know how much I love to bash those teleseryes, right? I didn't do a critique of GMA-7's remake of Full House but I'll admit Heart Evangelista (Anne Marie Ongpauco-Escudero) sure ruined the show that much! The show is currently on Kapamilya Channel which is a result of ABiaS-CBN's incredibly massive failure of the mind. The other means to watch it is through VIU a digital broadcasting service. 

The Piolo Pascual factor may be all form to ZERO SUBSTANCE


I was looking at the cast and I think it's rather deliberate that Piolo was made the main character for the Filipino version. Okay, I don't find actress Lovi Poe attractive (and I think Sayaka Akimoto is better inside out). I think this is rather a deliberate attempt to train on fangirls when Piolo was made into Jacob Del Rosario/Daniel Villareal who is none other than Lee Joon Ki's character in the original series. I must admit that Joon Ki is UGLY IMHO. However, Joon Ki's being ugly was no obstacle to his rise as he PERFORMS WELL. I've watched several of Joon Ki's series and he practically nails it. One of the series I watched by him was Lawless Lawyer - a series I felt was a greater eye opener than Coconuts' Martin's "hit show". Joon Ki may be unattractive but he certainly will appeal due to his acting. I didn't find Seo Ye Ji pretty either. However, the show's dynamic direction made it worth a sit. Beauty is but a bonus and it's no bonus if what's inside is rotten. 

I think the issue is prioritizing form over substance. One of the biggest problems of teleseryes is their tendency to prioritize eye candy over plot. I may find Rhian Denise Ramos Howell and Shaina Garcia Magdayao hot but watching through their series is a PAIN. Though, maybe it's because I actually (and secretly) wanted to marry Kim Tae Hee (even if she was five years older) back when I was in college. Though, the cast members of the South Korean Stairway to Heaven were excellent whether it's the lead cast Choi Ji Woo (who I don't find pretty but LOVE HER ACTING) or the attractive Tae Hee. I could sit through My Golden Life even if Shin Hye Sun is practically a whiter Sarah Jane I. Elgago surface-wise. The same also went why I didn't even bother to watch The Worse Half. I could name some local stars prettier than the South Korean stars. I think Shaina is more attractive than Jin A Nana. Nana's practically as flat as Belle in Beauty and the Beast

I think casting Piolo might be proof of getting too stuck. The 45-year-old bachelor (with an illegitimate son from a previous relationship) might still be appealing (or not). Since when did the Piolo craze begin? I remembered it in the late 2000s when I was in college. I guess casting Piolo was built on nostalgia. I remembered some Piolo-crazed fangirls in college who'd rather RETAKE A SUBJECT than miss seeing an event with Piolo. Such mentality may explain why these people are STUCK IN POVERTY. They could've focused on getting good grades, finishing on time, and getting a degree. However, their Piolo-obsession was something and there's a retention policy that you only have ONE EXTRA YEAR to finish the specific course. I think the production crew just wants to cast Piolo based on nostalgia. Honestly, the more I look at Piolo, the more I think he's all form without substance. Just watching even ONE EPISODE made me think it wouldn't be worth my time. 

The weekly schedule and the recent views

I remembered watching (and FINISHING) The Haunted. Sure, I'd probably choose to rewatch Kill It over The Haunted even if Shaina is hotter than Nana. Though Nana does look quite like Shaina and it'd be funny if ABiaS-CBN decides to illegally use the former's footage into their teleseryes. What made me actually sit through The Haunted was the fast-paced action though I watched it through ABiaS-CBN's official Youtube channel. The screentime for the Tagalog version of Flower of Evil is on the Kapamilya WEEKEND bloc. Yes, that means that it's not on a daily schedule so it would probably not end up like the OA My Girl Tagalog remake which had 75 episodes in contrast to the original show's 16 episodes.

ABiaS-CBN did have a short-running teleserye called He's Into Her which is on Netflix. Though I'm still disturbed (and puzzled) as to why 2 Good 2 Be True is number one on Netflix. I feel that the ratings of 2 Good 2 Be True may be connected to TROLL FARMS paid to make fake reviews, fake views, etc. I think its high rating on VIU might also be connected to TROLL FARMS. I wonder if Jover Laurio (the author of the now-defunct Pignoy Ako Blog) is leading an army of trolls for ABiaS-CBN to help generate views for her favorite network. I think an army of trolls must've been paid to make it look like that there are still people interested in their teleseryes. 

Right now, I'm just speculating that trolls, not organic views, are producing the high ratings for ABiaS-CBN. I think the recent views of Coconuts' Martin's Ang Probinsyano and 2 Good 2 Be True are anything but organic. I still feel they want to regain dominance even if it means creating an illusion of superiority. Though, one must wonder if these shows have truly reached a world-class level. Last I checked, these shows have NEVER made it into strong foreign markets too. 

Comments