Skip to main content

Death Hoaxes Are NOT Funny

I remembered a few days ago that Shaina Garcia Magdayao was rumored dead from her hypothyroid (which is probably not severe) but she's actually ALIVE AND KICKING. Just because I think ABS-CBN and Rappler won't mean I'd automatically dismiss whatever truth they have to tell. In fact, both are actually RIGHT about Shaina Magdayao not being supposedly dead! Her Instagram proves her to be actually VERY MUCH ALIVE. Heck, the whole rumor is what it is - A BASELESS RUMOR but it's not a harmless one. Whoever wrote it (and haters gonna hate) should be held accountable for such unnecessary panic. I don't care who writes down a death hoax or who's the victim - it's NEVER FUNNY. Heck, even if the ones who "died" in the death hoax are the likes of Leah Navarro, Maria Ressa, Jover Laurio, or even Kris Aquino who I tend to hate way TOO MUCH - it's still not funny at all! 

I don't know what's with this but is it me or is the prevalent humor in the Philippines really that offensive? It doesn't border on the funny but on the offensive such as launching false alarms. It's okay just and fair to give warning against bomb jokes or raising false alarms in general. Writing a public figure's death (and not just celebrities) can launch massive panic. I still remembered that rather uncalled for joke saying that the One Direction band died in the hotel room. I'm no fan of One Direction but really that could have hurt the fans themselves.

While I'm actually on for the decriminalization of libel but not entirely. Let me make it clear that while petty libel should be decriminalized but spreading death hoaxes and bomb jokes should no longer be categorized as such. I don't think simple fights over social media such as exchanging insults or petty lies should be criminalized in contrast to sending death threats. I think death hoaxes (depending on damage done) should be put under the crime of declaring false alarms. False alarms include bomb jokes because they waste the time of public peace and order. Death hoaxes too may be considered under false alarms even if they were done on April 1 of the year. April 1 is all about HARMLESS pranks not playing mean jokes on each other.

I'm amazed though that Shaina, unlike Kris, hasn't responded or reacted in such a violent way. However, it doesn't mean that she hasn't responded (if ever) that whoever made the joke is still innocent. I'm no Shainatic but really that was a very mean joke. It wasn't a practical joke. Depending on the damage done - I think such people who spread it with the intent of harming said persons need to be apprehended according to the damage done. I think an investigation must be done because it could be a possible death threat against the said actress. Meanwhile, we need to make sure that the fines are just enough to make sure that death hoax spreaders will at least learn that what they're doing isn't funny!

Comments