Skip to main content

Buntis Faib's Antagonistic Eva Sanchez Is Plain Bad Writing By PROFESSIONAL WRITER Suzette Doctolero


I guess I can't help but criticize Buntis Faib Legacy right? I've written some bad stories in the past (with a lot of OOC moments) and I can admit that I'm just a non-professional writer. Yes, I've deleted them because I have ZERO INTENTION to ever finish anything I believe needs to be junked. With GMA-7's announcement to air the murder-mystery mixed with fantasy drama Jirisan on GMA-7 (they did air some shows starring Jeon Ji Hyun after all) - I feel like writing this one. I finished watching Jirisan and I think I want to raise up the character of Eva Sanchez. Was Eva even a necessary character or what? For extra notes, I'm going to mention some Kamen Rider series since GMA-7 did air a few of them. There was Kamen Rider Faiz, Kamen Rider Kabuto, Kamen Rider OOO, and they're currently airing Kamen Rider Zero-One. Fortunately, they didn't air Kamen Rider Drive voiced by the cast of Tsuperhero or that'd be incredibly disastrous!

I was looking at Eva as this vindictive and vicious Alpha Bitch. I decided to review some older Kamen Rider shows from the Heisei era. I did see a couple of jokes where Toshiki Inoue faces off against Suzette Doctolero. I might bring up Kamen Rider Agito which wasn't aired in the Philippines. Then maybe, I could be wrong and I missed something. I could bring up some characters that were written by Inoue and how Doctolero could've handled Eva.


At first, I thought that Eva could've just been a gender-swapped Hojo. Make Eva the Hojo to Jamie's Hikawa. Agito gave a rivalry between Hojo (who believed that he should've been in the G-3 Unit) and Hikawa in many ways. It's only normal to have spiteful people around, right? Based on what TV Tropes has to say (and there can be inconsistencies since almost anyone can open an account there, EVEN ME) describes Hojo:

A detective with the Metropolitan Police Department, Hojo was a candidate to become the G3's user but was ultimately rejected in favor of Hikawa. Not happy with being passed over, he begins several schemes to get Hikawa kicked out and take his place. Eventually, he abandons these schemes in favor of plotting to have the G3 replaced by his own system, the V1, among other plans. He's definitely a Jerkass, a Smug Snake, and The Rival to our heroes, though he never crosses the line into outright villainy.

I think Eva could've worked this way with Jamie. Make her a jealous rival because she was Steve Armstrong's ex-girlfriend. Make her jealous because she wanted to be part of the Buntis Faib team. I think watching Buntis Faib Legacy could be a lesson to me on how I screwed up and HOW NOT TO WRITE A STORY. However, everything goes really bad when Eva ends up crossing the line to OUTRIGHT VILLAINY UNLIKE HOJO!

There's the OVEREXTENDED PLOT (and I'd deem it unnecessary) where Apable is a spy. Apable later makes an uneasy Deadly Alliance with Eva. Eva requests Apable to MURDER JAMIE OUT STRAIGHT. Later, Apable is arrested and murdered by an unknown person. Could the murderer be Eva? Later, the plot has it that... SURPRISE SURPRISE... it was really EVA who shot Jamie at a critical part! Then there's what Dryed Mangoez may call a perfectly wasted plot:

It might be the combination of overstaying its welcome and growing tired of the show, but Voltes V: Legacy is getting a bit absurd. Also, perhaps now, I’m more sensitive to its faults whereas at the beginning, I was far more willing to look past them.

Steve coming after Eva like that was crazy. It’s like we missed a whole chunk of story there. And also, they haven’t given the others any reason to immediately assume Eva is a murderer. She might be a jealous bitch, but to go so far as killing Jamie? These people are very judgmental and honestly, I’d love to watch them be proven wrong just to embarrass them.

But really, making Eva into a moustache-twirling cartoon villain… or really, an over-the-top typical teleserye villainess highlights the weaknesses of Voltes V: Legacy‘s execution. Having a love triangle is not a bad thing. Playing up that youthful immaturity is fine to help build up our main heroes. But the show hasn’t done that and instead moving along with these little vignette-type of stories instead of a free-flowing complete narrative.

Still, Eva made perfect point about killing Steve instead. He’s definitely done a lot to her even if she is a clingy delulu. lol

What totally made me LMAO is how Steve can just immediately guess it right. Like WUT? Watching Jirisan - the experts can't even figure out who the serial killer was. It's difficult to talk about Jirisan without spoiling it since the identity of the serial killer was meant to be clouded. There could've been this element where Eva gets suspected because she's a jealous bitch. However, they could've had it that Apable was probably another of the Boazanian spies and that Zardos had a back-up plan. Maybe, have it that the one who tried to murder Jamie was another hornless Boazanian hired by Zardos to do the job. Maybe, after Judallah's betrayal, another one decides not to screw up and infiltrate CBF. Maybe, make Apable a hornless Boazanian saying he's a spy from a defense contractor. Maybe, have Eva tell Jamie something unbelievable about Apable. 

I could agree with Dryed Mangoez's writer Jeff that Eva becoming an over-the-top typical telebasura villainess is STUPID. Eva might remind some of Selena from Mula Sa Puso whose villainy is full of illogical idiocy. Eva does make some perfect points while trying to hide her crime. Where was Steve's evidence anyway? Jealousy isn't enough evidence to indict a person for a crime!


If Doctolero was aiming towards the direction of Masato Kusaka then she's FAILED TOO. The way Jeff of Dryed Mangoez describes Eva fits it perfectly - a mustache-twirling cartoon villain (that's the blatantly evil type) or an over-the-top typical teleserye villainess is there. I did remember watching Ika-6 Na Utos clips and thinking that Georgia herself is just one. It seems that Doctolero is fond of making characters evil for the sake of it. Masato is also the jealous type. Masato has an unhealthy crush on Mari Sonoda like Eva has it on Steve. Besides, I doubt it that Eva will ever become a Breakout Villain like Masato has become. Masato deserves more non-canon appearances because he's a popular villain and the actor Kohei Murakami is JUST SO GOOD!

I did mention GMA-7 could've used Faiz as an outline for Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawan. It's because they aired Faiz beforehand. I remembered talking to someone at a toys department (and I have that guilty pleasure of entering a toy store to feel young and defy aging). A person there said that the newer Kamen Rider series feels more like action-based telenovelas. GMA-7 could've learned a thing or two by making Zaido a weekend primetime thing. Maybe, have Zaido air for a good 50 episodes and have the action here and there. Instead, Zaido became PAINFULLY WRONG. With Buntis Faib Legacy going for 80 episodes - you can tell that it's just DRAGGING EVERYTHING!

I think the issue isn't the actress Elle Villanueva but DOCTOLERO and GMA-7. Trying to make Eva as Kusaka has failed due to the poor pacing of the show. I think the whole investigation dragged on for too long. I think Eva could've been caught a COUPLE OF EPISODES EARLIER. Why drag the whole investigation? Just because real-life investigations can take long doesn't mean we should drag it in the show. Come on, an entire 30-minute episode can narrate events that happen in days, weeks, or even MONTHS. Some shows even do significant time jumps when necessary. Sometimes, the time gap between two weekly episodes can be a matter of JUST A DAY. Just think that Kosoku Sentai Turboranger's Bouma realignment story arc's last two episodes may be just a matter of 24 hours or a few days. I think Yamimaru could've kidnapped Dr. Dazai in day one and showed up a few days later or even just 24 hours. 

With Eva herself, I really think she's really what's best deemed as UNNECESSARY DRAMA. I could care less if Elle herself will dub over Kamen Rider female villains or K-Drama villains. I feel that Eva herself has been a terrible waste of space. She's probably just there to glorify the love of over-the-top teleserye villainy. 

Comments