ABS-CBN's What's Wrong With Secretary Kim Dub VS. GMA-7's While You Were Sleeping Dub

Both rival networks namely ABS-CBN and GMA-7 are airing What's Wrong With Secretary Kim and While You Were Sleeping respectively. While it can be understood why these shows are getting dubbed but the question is why don't they bother to do a better job in dubbing non-English shows in Tagalog?

Here's the Secretary Kim trailer from ABS-CBN. We're supposed to have Yong Jun as a narcissist with insecurity issues yet the dubber makes him lifeless. Secretary Kim's dubber doesn't do any better. It's making the trailer look like we've got a romance between zombies!

Here's the While You Were Sleeping trailer from GMA-7. It's amazing to think just how Alexa (Hong Joo) is supposed to have nightmares and scared scenes. But the dubber? I'm so amazed at how bad the GMA-7 dubbers are. I mean, I can't forget just how terrible each and every emotional scene becomes as a result of bad dubbing.

Besides, this had me thinking why I don't even bother watching these Tagalog dubs one way or another. Sure, it may be somewhat tiresome to read subtitles but I ended up learning to do so. The English subtitles together with the original audio makes it a better experience. I can understand what's being said and I enjoy the high quality. But the problem isn't them being dubbed in Tagalog but the fact that they are so horribly dubbed.

At the same time, I even thought about the irony of these oligarchy-owned networks. Since their teleseryes are becoming less and less irrelevant to more Filipinos then they have to rely on more and more foreign shows to keep them running. But when they get foreign shows -- they do a really bad job dubbing them to keep that "teleserye feel" right?

Comments