Skip to main content

The Irony Of Playing "Ako'y Isang Pinoy" ON A FOREIGN-MADE MUSIC PLAYER

I remembered learning the song "Ako'y Isang Pinoy" in Filipino or should I say Tagalog classes as an elementary student. It wasn't easy to be unfairly discriminated as "non-Filipino" because I was of Chinese descent (even if I'm born and bred in the Philippines) -- all the while said people enjoyed Jollibee, SM, and other stuff that were born of Filipino-Chinese businessmen. Now, it's time to consider the irony of the song "Ako'y Isang Pinoy" being played especially when it's nearly August which is Buwan Ng Wika or Month of the Language.

The song's lyrics go as follows:

Ako'y isang Pinoy sa puso't diwa
Pinoy na isinilang sa ating bansa
Ako'y Pinoy na mayroong sariling wika

Wikang pambansa ang gamit kong salita
Bayan kong sinilangan
Hangad kong lagi ang kalayaan

Si Gat Jose Rizal nuo'y nagwika
Siya ay nagpangaral sa ating bansa
Ang hindi raw magmahal sa sariling wika
Ay higit pa ang amoy sa mabahong isda

For non-Tagalog speakers, it means:

I'm a Pinoy in heart and spirit
A Pinoy who's raised in our country
I'm not accustomed to foreign languages
I'm a Pinoy who has one's own language

I use the national language for my speech
From the country where I'm raised

I always aspire for freedom 

Gat Jose Rizal once said
He once enlightened our country
That whoever doesn't love one's own language
Smells worse than a rotten fish

But while the song is played or even while the song is recorded -- imported equipment was used! Then when the music is played -- was the music player made in the Philippines? You have to admit that many appliances past and present are a result of Japanese innovation or improvisations. Many of them are in fact from Japan and other countries where they have a strong electronics market. The MP3 (which I use today because it's more flexible than the old-fashioned music players) was an invention by a German named Karlheinz Brandenburg in collaboration with Kōnosuke Matsushita -- the same way that the DVD was developed by Sony, Toshiba, and Philips. The mixing in of different ideas brings forth innovation so well. I love how Japanese innovators are very open-minded to work with different parties to bring their electronic revolution.

So why are we playing that stupid song if our music players aren't Filipino made or did the idea of the music player a Filipino idea to start with? If it wasn't for foreign ideas then the Philippines would still be stuck in the tribal system this 2019!

Comments