Skip to main content

Boracay's Current Condition Makes It NO LONGER FEASIBLE For Philippine Tourism

It's obvious that the Anti-Duterte group (and I don't want to lump them together with people who are critical of President Duterte while staying logical by approving of the good he does and criticizes him of some of his actions) are making up nonsense again. Some say that shutting down Boracay for now is going to weaken the economy (HUH?!) or that President Duterte will "sell Boracay to China" (HUH?!) need to see what has happened to the once wonderful island and tourist spot known as Boracay.

Nothing could help me but still feel disgusted to what happened to the island. I remembered how I heard of Boracay was a nice place to be -- but I went there last 2012 and found out how it's not the best place to be. I simply couldn't help but feel disgusted and even regret why I even went there. It was so filthy! President Duterte is right -- it's a pool of feces or sh*t. I'd like to say nakakadiri which means disgusting. If I'm using my income to pay for a flight to this place then FORGET ABOUT IT. It's not worth spending any of my savings for that trip! There's many beaches around the Philippines where I can pay less and get a real experience. 

Many businessmen involved in Boracay are NOT following simple guidelines. As the question from Get Real Philippines goes -- how can there be progress if people don't want to follow simple guidelines. I remembered my trip there the last time was an awful one. People just throw their garbage everywhere. Many people eat and leave their wrappers behind rather than pick them up themselves. It's true that there are employees who will pick them up but chances are the garbage was washed off-shore or some employees are even too lazy to pick up the garbage. 

I even suspect that the Department of Environment and Natural Resources or DENR has been accepting bribes. They should have shut down these facilities in Boracay that were not following environmental guidelines. Instead, by taking bribes or playing indifferent they have condemned the whole island's existence. After all, what do you expect from officials who accepted bribes from Chinese poachers and let them do what they do? 

This is the reality of doing business. It's not just short term huge income or "biglang yaman" (instant wealth) where you get easy money all the time. It's all about long-term feasibility in business. The problem is people only want money without thinking that money is useless when nature is destroyed. What's the use of having plenty of money if all the rivers are polluted and every tree is cut down or worse the whole world gets into an ice age and it's about to end? The same can go for Boracay. I guess all they care about is getting money immediately than thinking of how to get the money continuously flowing. It would be better to spend on proper sewage disposal now than not to spend money and get a lot of people sick latter.

This also reminds me of the slogan that David Guerrero once made called "It's More Fun in the Philippines". I don't care how many dancers, how many special effects or how many gimmicks you make to endorse something. While your commercial should boast of how good or great your product is but no amount of advertising can sell a bad product in the long run. Sure the tagline could drag in more tourists (at first) but when the reality bites back then don't expect any more tourists. The same can be true for Boracay. It needs to be rehabilitated ASAP before it becomes uninhabitable.

Comments