Skip to main content

Is "Buntis Faib Legacy" Attempting To Follow The Love Triangle From "Chojin Sentai Jetman"?

 
I guess I can't help but really criticize what some call Buntis Faib Legacy. I wrote a couple of bad fan fics then again I'm NO PROFESSIONAL WRITER. What excuse does GMA-7 have anyway with how Suzette Doctolero does things? It seems Shinichiro Shirakura is doing a hands-off approach or he's just there to collect the royalty fees. I remembered watching several shows without any idea that either they came from the same network (such as Voltes V and Super Sentai) or that Gatchaman came from Tatsunoko. Doing research on the timeline of which shows was which helped. So yeah, Chojin Sentai Jetman was in 1991 while Chodenji Machine Voltes V was in 1977. One could say that a lot of Super Sentai characters were "ripped off" from many sources. One could say Toei recycled several of its stuff or modified them for future use. Heck, I even think Toshiki Inoue was watching a lot of older Anime before becoming Jetman's head writer. Doctolero is certainly trying to pull an Inoue but not in a good way.

What can be noted with Buntis Faib Legacy is the TEDIOUS pacing. The introduction arc is unnecessarily long with useless details. First, we had the Eva-Jamie-Steve love triangle. After the TEDIOUSLY LONG who's the assassin plot (received to be Apable who was suddenly shot by an unknown killer, most likely a Boazanian) - I'm really going to say that the love triangle starts to mature after that! Mark does ask Jamie at the beach ALONE if she and Steve were dating. Obviously, Mark doesn't want to steal anybody's woman. Still, Mark does pull a Gai or Black Condor there. Mark's original counterpart Ippei Mine was the loner, Joe the Condor archetype. Steve (or should I say Kenichi) is basically the Red Ranger. Steve's character would also be based on Ken the Eagle from Gatchaman if Mark was Joe the Condor. Later on, Gai in Jetman would obviously be based on Joe the Condor as much as Ryu was based on Ken the Eagle. 

Steve admits he likes Jamie. However, Mark also admits to having a crush on Jamie too! While watching Voltes V - I did hope that Ippei and Megumi would become a couple. I could remember a few scenes where Megumi and Ippie displayed their potential to be a couple. Ippei seems to talk about Megumi A LOT at times. Some prefer the Kenichi x Megumi pairing because Chodenji Robo Combattler V made Hyoma and Chizuru (Glenn and Stephanie in the dub) an official couple at the end. In my case, I was team Hyoma x Chizuru while getting disappointed that Ippei and Megumi never got together. Need I say that I also felt bad when both Gai and Kaori didn't end up together in Jetman as much as I wish Ryu succeeded in rescuing Rie? Yeah, Inoue was obviously foreshadowing Ryu and Kaori throughout Jetman!

The scene at the beach could be the seed of what I might call Doctolero pulling an Inoue. Hopefully, GMA-7 isn't planning to air Avatar Sentai Donbrothers and I'm glad they didn't air Ucchu Sentai Kyuranger. Did Toei Ltd. decide the Philippines was "better off" with Power Rangers knowing the potential stupidity that could happen? However, I do feel that the return of badly-dubbed Super Sentai might just be around the corner. I might actually scream with frustration if ever Kyuranger does get a dub with Dennis Trillo voicing Lucky or linking it to Zaido: Pulis Pangkalalawan. Thankfully, Kamen Rider Drive getting voiced by the cast of Tsuperhero never happened as I imagined it could. 

The way Mark talks to Steve almost feels like the scene when Gai talked to Ryu about Kaori. Gai does make his affection for Kaori obvious. Although Gai was kind of a sleaze - his matching up with Kaori worked. I always felt that Gai going with Kaori and Ryu's aim to rescue Rie kept Jetman going. It's one rather VERY SLOW here. It took Jetman only a couple of episodes to bring up the Ryu-Gai-Kaori love triangle. Yes, it took ONE EPISODE and it's dragging really long. If Inoue understood Tagalog, I wonder how he'd react! 

Doctolero is trying to turn Jamie into Kaori from Jetman. Jetman had a plot in which Kaori likes Ryu but Gai likes Kaori. Steve doesn't want to compromise the teamwork so he's letting Mark have Jamie. True to her Jetman counterpart - Jamie's feelings are for STEVE. Jamie gets disappointed when the flowers came from MARK instead. This almost reminds me of Jetman episode 22 where it was more of a drama filler. Well, Inoue knew how to work with drama fillers but NOT Doctolero. Doctolero seems to like useless details A LOT. Almost every episode of Buntis Faib Legacy is full of it. 

I remembered the time when Ryu told Gai to go for it. Isn't that what Steve just told Mark? Yet Jamie gets disappointed with the flowers from Mark. I wouldn't be surprised if Jamie's selfish side shows up, maybe Jamie will try to ask Steve out on a concert, and Steve gives the ticket to Mark. I can expect that Mark would get mad. Maybe we'd see more sparring scenes between Steve and Mark. Maybe, I can also expect Doctolero to try and dig out Jetman episode 22 in LONG TEDIOUS PACE. I wonder how things would be if Steve tells Mark, "Alam ko mahal mo si Jamie. Mahal bo sa siya?" in a bar. Though, you might expect that scene to get overextended into SEVERAL GRUELING EPISODES. Maybe, both Kotaro Tanaka and Toshihide Wakamatsu would probably cover their faces if they understood Tagalog. 

I was reminded of my love triangle with my frenemy over a girl who looks like Sakura from Gougou Sentai Boukenger. Are people all too interested in EVERY USELESS DETAIL that happened within that time? Would my friend's confession to me that he likes that girl who looks like Sakura be as important as him eating his breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Would meeting him at the student kiosk and telling him to be honest and go after her be as important as studying for an exam for an hour or two? In telenovelas, we NEVER see an entire one-hour session in its entirety - just the middle or the end of the class. Yet, Doctolero may even be stupid enough to write the whole class and maybe the teacher sneezing or going to pee will be there. A telenovela is supposedly a summary of stuff - NOT FULL OF USELESS FLUFF! 

What worries me though is if either Steve or Mark would go dating Maybe, Jamie here might fulfill what I wanted - an Ippei x Megumi pairing. However, it could end up in a real mess because maybe we'd see Mark and Jamie have a bed scene. I could imagine how Doctolero might end up trying to follow the way Gai and Kaori became a couple (and ended their status) except insert whatever stupidity she can think of. Maybe, Steve would try to sob in the corner while trying to keep the team together. I can't be sure what could happen. I'm just really waiting for something EXPLOSIVE. 

Doctolero has no excuse as a professional writer. Sure, fan fic writers like myself tend to screw up. I've written several bad fics as an UNSUPERVISED non-professional hobby writer. How is it that GMA-7 is actually allowing Doctolero to do what she's doing with Voltes V Legacy right now? I'm no professional critic but still doesn't mean I can't write my opinions, right? 

Comments